Use Credit Card Rewards to Your Advantage
Are you maximizing your credit card rewards? Thinking strategically about the cards you keep in your wallet can pay off and help you earn more rewards.
Credit cards provide a convenient way to pay and earn rewards when you shop. Whether you’re paying for gas and groceries, booking a hotel or buying a new Smart TV, you can put more money back in your pocket with the right credit card. Thinking strategically about the cards you keep in your wallet can help you maximize the benefits of your cards.
8 Ways to Maximize Rewards
Choosing a credit card with robust rewards can help you get all the perks you deserve. Try these tips to take full advantage of your credit card rewards and benefits.
- Look at your spending trends. How much do you spend in categories like travel or dining? How much do you spend on everyday expenses like utilities, gas and groceries? Some cards are designed exclusively for travel rewards and others are better for everyday spending. Choosing a card that offers attractive rewards in designated categories plus cash back rewards or points on every purchase can be a win-win.
- Investigate bonus categories. Find out more about the types of purchases that qualify for bonus categories. For instance, a card with bonus rewards on travel may include airfare, hotels, car rentals, cruise lines and travel agencies. It pays to find out!
- Think about how you manage your rewards. Do you enjoy actively managing your credit card rewards? Or do you prefer a more hands-off or automated approach? Some cards have rotating bonus categories, requiring that you “opt in” or select your choices every quarter. If you don’t want to bother with choosing categories, consider a card that rewards you for every purchase throughout the year.
- Review reward redemption options. Choose a card with reward redemption options that work for you. Some cards offer cash back or points that must be redeemed for travel or used toward merchandise or gift cards in a shopping portal. Having the flexibility to choose how you want to redeem rewards can help you get more from your card rewards.
- Pay attention to the details. Sometimes there are dollar limits for spending in bonus categories, or expiration dates on your rewards. Some travel reward cards have blackout dates or restrictions on redemption — that’s why choosing a card with flexible redemption options can work to your advantage. Understanding those details can help you optimize your spending to maximize rewards.
- Take advantage of extra benefits. Credit cards offer a range of benefits for cardholders, and it pays to find out what’s included with your card. Some cards offer trip cancellation insurance and trip delay reimbursement, travel accident insurance, lost and delayed baggage reimbursement and more. Visa Signature® cards offer special perks and upgrades for hotel guests through the Visa Luxury Hotel Collection. Visa Signature® also provides access to fine wine and food events, special discounts and complimentary 24-hour concierge service.
- Watch for foreign transaction fees. Many credit cards charge a foreign transaction fee of 3% for each transaction made abroad. If you plan to use your credit card overseas, choosing a card with no foreign transaction fees can keep costs down.
- Compare annual fees. Paying an annual fee on a premium credit card can work out to your advantage if you’re getting a significant value from using the card. Estimate your annual rewards based on your average spending and consider the value of additional benefits that come with a premium card.
Elevate Your Rewards
Start earning more with every purchase you make and enjoy the flexible features and benefits of an Amegy Bank Visa® credit card*. Check out our suite of Premium Credit Cards to find one that fits your life. *Subject to credit approval; terms, conditions and restrictions apply.