Upgrading Your Protection Software
We Care About Your Safety
At Amegy Bank of Texas, we highly recommend keeping your computer protection software up-to-date. At a minimum, your computer should have anti-virus and anti-spyware software, and a firewall. You can buy stand-alone programs for each element or a security suite that includes these programs from a variety of sources, including commercial vendors or from your Internet Service Provider. Security software that comes pre-installed on a computer generally works for a short time unless you pay a subscription fee to keep it in effect.
Anti-virus software protects your computer from viruses that can destroy your data, slow your computer's performance, cause a crash or even allow spammers to send email through your account. It works by scanning your computer and your incoming email for viruses and then deleting them.
Installed on your computer without your consent, spyware software monitors or controls your computer use. It may be used to send you pop-up ads, redirect your computer to websites, monitor your Internet surfing or record your keystrokes, which could lead to theft of your personal information. A computer may be infected with spyware if it:
- Slows down, malfunctions or displays repeated error messages
- Won't shut down or restart
- Serves up a lot of pop-up ads or displays them when you're not surfing the web
- Displays web pages or programs you didn't intend to use or sends emails you didn't write.
A firewall helps keep hackers from using your computer to send out your personal information without your permission. While anti-virus software scans incoming email and files, a firewall is like a guard, watching for outside attempts to access your system and blocking communications to and from sources you don't permit.
- Use security software that updates automatically. It's very important to keep your security software active and current. Only up-to-date security software protects against the newest threats. That's why it is critical to set your security software to update automatically.
- Keep your operating system and your browser up-to-date.
Hackers also take advantage of Web browsers (e.g., Firefox or Internet Explorer) and operating system software (e.g., Windows or Mac OS) that don't have the latest security updates. Operating system companies issue security patches for flaws they find in their systems, so it's important to download and install security patches automatically.
- Update your security settings. You can increase your online security by changing the built-in security and privacy settings in your operating system or browser. Check the "Tools" or "Options" menus to learn how to upgrade from the default settings. Use your "Help" function for more information about your choices.
- Disconnect your computer from the Internet. If you're not using your computer for an extended period, disconnect it from the Internet. When it's disconnected, the computer doesn't send or receive info from the Internet and isn't vulnerable to hackers.
As always, if you have any questions or concerns, please contact us at 888-462-6349.
Please note this content is for informational and educational purposes only. Amegy Bank of Texas assumes no liability for any adverse activity that may occur as a result of downloading or installing any manner of computer software.